Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The dangers of drawstrings and other Pete Wentz adventures

So far in my journalistic endeavors, my worst fear has been getting a what-idiot-wrote-this-crap reaction from readers. My fear worsens when I give that reaction to other writers, case in point, an article entitled “Rocker ‘Nearly Got Hung’ by His Hoodie,” located on the Popeater Website.

I realize I was asking for a sketchy article when I clicked on the link to popeater.com from the AOL Music site, but the link was enticing. I guess the Popeaters did one thing right.

The headline implies that a rock start, specifically Fall Out Boy member Pete Wentz, had a recent, extreme accident. I pictured something along the lines of him getting into a brawl with Panic at the Disco members and them attempting to strangle him with his drawstrings.

Wrong. Apparently Wentz simply revealed to Popeater that he had a near-death experience two years ago when the drawstrings on his hooded sweatshirt tangled around him while he was crowd surfing. This story came in addition to several poorly stated answers to ridiculously random questions.

Still, I have to admit, I do like the quote that goes along with that part of the story.

“I couldn't breathe and I nearly got hung which I was probably fit for at the time,” Wentz said.

Don’t be so hard on yourself, Pete. In fact, I would say your biggest mistake so far in your career is probably talking to Popeater.

http://www.popeater.com/music/article/pete-wentzs-near-death-by-hoodie-scare/228463

No comments: