Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Nice to meet you, Cutout.

I have a great deal of respect for people who are truly dedicated to their chosen causes. However, I believe some people give their attention to causes that are less critical than others.

Take for example a woman formerly known as Jennifer Thornburg. According to an AP article found on USA TODAY’s Web site, she recently officially changed her name to CutoutDissection.com, or Cutout for short. Her new name is the URL for a Web site advocating the elimination of dissection assignments in classrooms.

When it comes to her particular soap box, this tactic is extreme but successful.

“Once they find out what my name is, they want to know more about what the website is about,” Cutout said.

Personally, I have nothing against saving animals. I don’t necessarily condone using small animals as learning tools, partly because I’d rather slam my pinky in a car door than slice into a formaldehyde-soaked frog. Still, I think there are more pressing issues facing humanity. I feel that her idea for spreading the word for a cause could have been put to better use.

At the same time, I understand her decision. Names like stopworldhunger.com and eliminateAIDSinAfrica.org would not produce as nifty a nickname as Cutout.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-10-13-namechange_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

No comments: