As I sit here comfortably on my couch, diligently keeping track of the presidential election and crossing my fingers for the candidate I have supported, I realize how lucky I am for two reasons: I have already cast my ballot and I am not pregnant.
A Los Angeles woman is the inspiration for my gratitude because she does not share those two fortunes with me. According to Tyson Wheatley in a video story on CNN’s Web site, this woman was standing in line at the polls when her water broke. She went home and she and her husband proceeded to a hospital where a doctor told her that she still had time to vote before the baby would be born.
Doctor’s note in hand, this woman, technically in labor, was ushered to the front of the line and cast her vote.
Wow. Her right to vote meant enough to her that in what I’m sure was extreme discomfort, she still managed to put in her two cents in this historic election.
This makes me wonder what lengths I would go to in order to make my own voice heard.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/ireports/2008/11/04/irpt.wheatley.pregnant.woman.ireport

No comments:
Post a Comment