The fact that Dixie State College is currently missing a mascot had me feeling a little down. However, when I came across a photo essay on Fox Sports’ Web site called “Mascots gone wild,” I knew I’d be feeling better after looking at other schools’ mascot troubles.
Now I see that, in some cases, not having a mascot may be better than having one that misbehaves. DSC can learn from the examples in this collection of photos, as they showcase the kinds of mascots a school should avoid having.
For the most part, the craziest stories in this essay are about live mascots. For instance, Peruna, the Shetland pony that represents Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, apparently has quite a naughty streak going. From field-pooping to killing another team’s mascot, Peruna is the poster pony for what a mascot should not do on the field. So, for safety reasons, we should probably rule out having a live animal represent our school, especially if we become the rattlers.
DSC can also learn from the state of Oregon, which is home to two schools with out-of-control mascot stories. First, we should make sure that any girl who decides to don our future mascot costume can take a punch. Second, if we’re going to have a person with a rage problem wear our mascot suit, that suit better be something more fierce than a duck.
After reading these stories, I see that DSC needs to factor the type of trouble each potential mascot could cause into the decision making process.

No comments:
Post a Comment